AlpenKammerMusik-Vocal and Chamber Music in the Alps
AlpenKammerMusik is a festival in the spectacularly beautiful setting of the Austrian Alps that seeks to unite the global musical community through the intimate study of chamber music, with dynamic musical instruction and the opportunity for participants to play together with world-class faculty.
AlpenKammerMusik’s strength lies in its diversity. We have had participants as young as 18, as well as participants in their 80s. Whether you are an undergraduate student at a conservatory, a member of an emerging string quartet, or a dedicated amateur, AlpenKammerMusik can provide a level of collaboration and instruction that will appropriately challenge you.
- Participants are placed in 2-3 carefully chosen groups by level which have daily rehearsals. Most groups will include a member of our outstanding faculty, and all groups receive regular coaching.
- AlpenKammerMusik’s focus is on the canon of chamber music for strings, winds, voice, and piano. Occasionally, we may also bring in other instruments, such as guitar and percussion. Applicants make repertoire requests when applying, and requests are taken into consideration when building a balanced program for the festival.
- The vocal component of AKM is an unusual and integral part of our festival. For some of our participant singers and instrumentalists, it is the first opportunity they have had to collaborate in a chamber music setting. The interplay of text and music, and of voice and instruments has proven to be enlightening and satisfying for all involved.
- We aim to keep AKM an intimate, special experience. Our ideal complement of participants each summer is 8 violins, 4 violas, 6 cellos, 1 double bass, 5 pianists, 2 clarinets, 1 flute, 1 oboe, 1 bassoon, 1 horn, 4 vocalists, and other instruments, on occasion.
- Some instruments are highly competitive to get into so we advise getting an application in early.
- Scholarships are very limited and based on both merit and festival needs.
Visit the website http://alpenkammermusik.com for a daily schedule and details of activities and faculty.