CoMA MidWinter Composers' Course 2018
Treat yourself this New Year to a gigantic creative boost with CoMA’ intensive mid-winter five-day composition course. With a track record for taking composers onto an entirely new level, the course provides the technical capacity and confidence to realise more ambitious musical ideas and projects.
A major UK composer will be in residence offering friendly and supportive advice to composers at all stage of their developments, advice that is nevertheless challenging and deeply instructive. With a focus on string writing, composers are required to write for amateur strings as well as for a professional string trio that will include Ruth Gibson (viola) and Robin Michael (cello). One session each day is dedicated to writing as a composers’ ensemble.
CoMA course participants have variously described the course as providing an ‘amazing time’, offering ‘great feedback’ and ‘unique opportunities for collaboration’, and as an ‘inspiring’ way to kick off the New Year. Past composition tutors have included Tansy Davies, Gerald Barry, Sally Beamish, Philip Cashian and Alasdair Nicolson.
- Pre-course guidance on writing for strings with option to write for amateur mixed ability string orchestra or chamber size string quintet
- Group tuition classes and one-to-one composition tutorials with a leading UK composer
- Attendance at all workshops performing composers’ submitted works with feedback by professional performers
- Sessions with a professional trio to inspire and develop new musical ideas
- Working as a ‘composers ensemble’ to create a collective work for performance
- Right to record all composition sessions
- Concerts in the Jacqueline du Pré Music Building presented by string tutors
Fees range from £390 for a day visitor to £645 for full board in a single occupancy room with washbasin (£740 in an ensuite room). There are a limited number of bursaries for full time students offering £140 off the full price. This means that full time students can attend for as little as £250. Many colleges have funds to cover course fees.
The course is limited to eight composers and has been over-subscribed in recent years.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.