The tutor team this year is Tristan Gurney(violin) Ruth Gibson (viola) and Robin Michael (cello). The course encompasses music from the baroque through classical, romantic and modern to the music of today. Daily, there are
- Three string orchestra sessions
- A foundation session (such as technique) or sectional
- A chamber music session with optional contemporary and cello ensembles (the latter subject to demand)
In addition there are
- Three orchestral sessions over the course of the five days, playing new works specially written for the allcomers string orchestra, with composer Alasdair Nicolson and student composers present
- Two evening concerts given by the string tutors
- The option for informal music making in our very own pop-up bar
The course uses the superb facilities of St Hilda's College Oxford and the Jacqueline du Pré Music Building. The Jacqueline du Pré Music Building, the first purpose built concert hall in Oxford since the time of Handel, is located within the college grounds.
The Jacqueline du Pré building accommodates the allcomers orchestral sessions, composers' masterclasses, the evening concerts and our self-run pop-up bar. It also features four practice rooms which can also be used for informal chamber groups.
Download application form at: http://www.allcomersmusic.org/mid-winter-strings.html
Bookings open on 1st August 2018