Announcing Drop-in Month
October is ACMP Drop-in Month! This new program is a great way to gather together, meet new friends – ACMP members and others – and work on a favorite piece of music.
An ACMP Drop-in focuses on playing one piece of music on a day that works for you in October. Unlike a Play-in, you will spend the time working with an ensemble of players on a piece you’ve selected and prepared in advance.
Our hope is that players will reach out to other players in their area who they don’t regularly play with, especially new ACMP members or people they’ve met at workshops during the summer.
Here’s how to plan a Drop-in:
- Sponsor a Drop-in! Anyone can host a Drop-in anywhere.
- Select a piece of music that you’d like to explore
- Select a date, time and place – plan ahead to give time for players to prepare their parts
- Invite others to join you – at least 4 – 6 weeks before the Drop-in – specifically for the parts in the piece. If you have a regular ensemble, reach out to different players. Players will sign up in advance. Once you have the players you need, sign-up is closed.
- Let the ACMP office know about your Drop-in and send us photos/videos.
We suggest you use the Find Players online messaging system to contact players, though participants don’t have to be ACMP members – we hope it might encourage new people to join us! You’ll let them know these important points:
- Playing level, if required
- Date, time, and place (leave the exact address to the next stage of communication)
- Repertoire – exact name and availability of parts
- Date by which to sign up – at least 4 – 6 weeks before the Drop-in
Example of message to people in your area.
Subject – ACMP Drop-in, NYC, October 13, 2-4pm. Dvorak String Quintet #3
Hi ACMP friends,
I will be hosting a Drop-in on Oct 13, 2-4:30pm in my apartment on West 74th Street, NYC, ACMP’s new program to meet new players and explore a great piece of music. One of my favorite pieces that I rarely get to play is Dvorak’s String Quintet No. 3 (2 violas). I play viola so I’m looking for another violist, violins 1 and 2 and a cellist. Parts must be prepared in advance of the Drop-in. Please let me know by September 28 if you would like to join me to explore this terrific piece as part of ACMP Drop-in Month. Once I have the quintet in place, sign-up will be closed.
Mary Smith, NYC, viola, expert
We hope our first ACMP Drop-in Month will be new way to honor the spirit of ACMP’s founders by getting players together to explore great music in a very focused and “low maintenance” way.
If you would like ACMP membership brochures, ACMP luggage tags, or a banner for your Drop-in, let the ACMP office know (firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-645-7424).